Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10/11
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
This page covers everything that you need to know about external hard drive recovery. On this page, you will learn:
- 1. What is external hard drive recovery?
- 2. When do you need to perform external hard drive recovery?
- 3. What is the best recovery software for external hard drive?
- 4. How to recover data from external hard drive?
- 5. How to protect data on external hard drive?
If you are having one of the listed problems on your mind, keep reading and you'll get a satisfying answer here.
In this part, you'll learn: 1. What is external hard drive recovery? 2. When do you need to perform external hard drive recovery?
It's undeniable that external hard drive brings us great convenience. They allow us to carry terabytes of data everywhere we go, and the files stored on the devices can be easily shared between storage media. However, a survey shows that data loss on the external hard drive takes the largest portion. In this case, external hard drive recovery is unavoidable.
What is external hard drive recovery?
Normally, external hard drive recovery is a process to recover deleted, lost data from external hard drive, even the drive got corrupted or accidentally formatted. However, as files lost on external hard drive won't be recycled to the Recycle Bin, which as a result, you will need to turn to a reliable free hard drive data recovery software for the external disk.
When do you need to perform external hard drive recovery?
In addition to common causes, like accidental deletion and formatting, that lead to data loss on an external hard drive. There are other cases when you need to perform external hard drive recovery. For example:
- Data on the external hard drive is lost due to virus attack, OS crash, OS reinstallation
- The external hard drive has a RAW file system and thus becomes inaccessible
- The external hard drive is detected in Windows but not showing any data
- The USB hard drive is not recognized
ATTENTION: As long as the data is not overwritten by new content, external hard drive recovery is possible. Thus, stop using your external disk immediately once you've got data lost and perform data recovery as soon as possible.
Luckily, you can perform external hard drive recovery with professional and reliable data recovery software. In the next part, we'll include 5 best external hard drive recovery software to help you out.
External hard drive data recovery will be easy when you know what is the best data recovery tool to turn to. According to users' reviews, geek websites' tests, and our experience, here we collect the top 5 hard drive data recovery software for you to apply and recover data from external hard drive with ease.
5 Best External Hard Drive Recovery Software in 2022:
- #1. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
- #2. Recover My Files
- #3. Ontrack EasyRecovery
- #4. GetDataBack
- #5. Recuva
Also Read: 15 Best Hard Drive Recovery Software
Whether you are using the latest Windows 10/8 or older Windows XP, you can download one of the above-recommended software for help. It will help you recover the deleted, formatted, or lost data from your external hard drive or recover files from an inaccessible drive.
#1. Trustworthy External Hard Drive Recovery Software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
The data recovery software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can serve as the external hard drive recovery software that will help you recover data from your external disk. This software is widely used to:
- Recover deleted, formatted, and lost data from external hard drive
- Recover data from an external hard drive after a Virus attack, OS crash, OS reinstallation, file system becoming RAW
- Recover all existing file types like photos, videos, audio files, emails, documents, etc.
- Support external hard drives of Buffalo, WD, Seagate, Toshiba, Samsung, Lacie, Silicon, ADATA, and more
- Repair videos like MP4, MOV, and repair images like JPG, JPEG, GIF, etc.
Best For: All levels of Windows and Mac users
Ease of Use: Beginners Best Choice, intuitive UI design, 3-step recovery
Other than external hard drives, you can also apply EaseUS data recovery software to retrieve files from computer hard drive, USB flash drives, memory cards, digital cameras, and more.
If you lost external hard drive data on a Mac computer, you may also download the Mac version of this software for help.
How to Perform External Hard Drive Recovery with EaseUS Free Data Recovery Software
After downloading and installing EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard on your computer, you now only several steps away from recovering your data from the external hard drive.
Follow the video tutorial to complete external hard drive data recovery.
Step 1. Choose and scan the external hard drive
- Download and install EaseUS Data Recovery on your PC or laptop.
- Connect the external hard drive to your computer.
- Run EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and choose the external drive from External drives list. Then, click scan for lost data.
Step 2. Check the scan results
- EaseUS data recovery software will immediately scan the selected drive for all data, including deleted, corrupted, and existing data.
- You can use the Filter feature to quickly locate the files of one kind, such as Pictures, Word, Excel, PDF, videos, emails, etc.
Step 3. Preview and recover data
- Double-clicking a file from the scanned results to preview.
- Choose the files you want and click "Recover".
- Select a different drive to save the recovered files instead of the original one.
Ontrack is originally a data recovery service provider, which mainly offers hard disk repair and data recovery services for worldwide users. In recent years, Ontrack released its data recovery software for users to perform DIY data recovery at home.
Being similar to EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, Ontrack EasyRecovery also supports to restore lost files on both Windows and Mac computers. Check out what you can do with this hard disk recovery software:
- Recover files from corrupted, deleted, or formatted drives
- Recover data from internal and external hard drive, SSD, USB, Memory card, etc.
- Repair damaged and corrupted photo and video (Prenium and higher versions)
Best for: Windows and Mac users
Ease of Use: 3-step recovery
#3. Recover My Files
Experienced users may have heard of Recovery My Files which is a classic data recovery software. It's an old fashioned data recovery software produced by GetData.
With this software, you are capable of restoring data and files from the following cases and devices:
- Recover from hard drive, external hard drive, camera card, USB, Zip, etc.
- Recover files after emptied recycle bin
- Recover files after formatting, disk crash, partitioniong error, etc.
- Recover documents, photos, video, music, etc.
Best For: Windows users only
Ease of Use: Not for beginners, complex interface
Being alike to Recover My Files, GetDataBack is also a classic data recovery software which supports users to perform DIY data recovery on their own. Produced by runtime software, GetDataBack has different versions based on 64bit and 32bit of Windows OS.
So what can this hard disk recovery software do for you? Let's see:
- Support data recovery on NTFS, FAT, exFAT, EXT, HFS+, and APFS devices
- Recover data lost due to formatting, partitioniong, virus attack, power or software failure
Best for: Windows, Mac, and Linux users
Ease of Use: 4+ steps of data recovery, Not for beginners
Although Piriform Recuva is old in data recovery, yet it's still a powerful data recovery software among a vast number of disk recovery tools. This software still owns a large number of fans due to its excellent performance in file recovery.
With a low price, Recuva exceeds its competitors even its interface is old and sort of complex for beginners. Let's see what you can do with this external hard disk recovery software:
- Recover files from computer, recycle bin, digital camera card, MP3 palyer, etc.
- Recover pictures, music, documents, videos, etc.
- Recover from external storage devices like external hard drive, USB sticks, etc.
- Securely delete files, erase files
Best for: Windows users only
Ease of Use: Not for beginners
After getting to know some basic features of the top 5 exernal hard drive recovery software, you may now pick up one and apply to bring your lost files back on the external hard drive, USB, SD card.
Besides recommending you the best hard disk recovery software, we also collected some useful tips for protecting data on your exernal hard drive. Hope you can follow and take care of your own files right now.
Data protection is always a better choice than a cure. To reduce the risk of losing files completely from any storage device, you need to both minimize the chance of data loss and get a data recovery tool to rescue data once it's lost without any backup. Generally, there are two ways to protect data on your external hard drive: grow a good habit of using the drive and back up your external hard drive regularly.
Good habits to protect an external hard drive:
- 1. Keep your external hard drive away from fire, water, high temperature...
- 2. Disconnect the external hard drive from your computer when it is not in use
- 3. Don't edit files directly on the external hard drive
- 4. Eject the device before disconnecting it
- 5. Put your external hard drive in a disk enclosure
Ways to back up an external hard drive:
- 1. Manually copy and paste the important files from your external hard drive to somewhere else
- 2. Back up your external hard drive files regularly and automatically using backup software
- 3. Sync the data on your external hard disk to cloud storage
Growing good habits is helpful to minimize the chance of accidental data loss on your drive. While backing up your disk is helpful to avoid complete data loss once you get files lost on your storage medium.
The Bottom Line
External hard drive data recovery is easy if you get help from data recovery software. Almost all the data recovery tools available support external hard drive recovery but vary in quality. Choose the one you trust and apply it to recover data from your external hard disk as soon as possible.
Among most data recovery software, EaseUS hard disk recovery software is more practical and reliable due to its powerful data recovery capacity and excellent tech support. Anyone who encounter problems while using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can reach us for online support by emailing to [email protected]
Besides data recovery, as a responsible data recovery software provider, we also suggest you back up your vital data regularly. Nothing can be better than having a regular backup of your files.
Was This Page Helpful?
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and likes various electronic products.
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More